Well, not only has November come to an end but so has NaNoWriMo. I cannot believe that I won with a couple of days to spare. There were days where I didn’t think I would win but I did! It’s been such a wonderful month and I have learned so much about me!
Here’s what I have learned:
- I fell back in love with writing
- I haven’t written this many words in one project in about three years. That is huge for me.
- This has been such an amazing journey and I have now realized that this is why I fell in love with writing to begin with. I am so, so glad that I decided to give this a go.
- I need to have an outline to write my stories.
- I love having an idea of where my story is going to go because I don’t like having to come up with things randomly.
- I did change some things as the story progressed but they were minor details.
- I need to practice writing in different tenses to get better at them
- I love, love writing in first person but I wanted to try writing in third-person/limited past tense and in the view point of my MC and LI.
- Practice makes perfect
- I need to write consistently to become a better writer. I know this sounds self explanatory but I believed for too long that I wasn’t a good writer. However, this was just the imposter syndrome talking.
- I need a writing routine and incentives
- I write best at night but I need to have a routine that helps me finish a manuscript.
- I also love, love having incentives for the writing that I do. I need that to push me forward.
- I can’t write while watching a movie/show/YouTube video
- I simply need music, preferably movie soundtracks, to get me to write more words. I tend to get distracted which is never good for actually getting words down.
- I love writing by hand
- I knew this already but it was nice to get the confirmation
- This was also a great excuse for me to get new writing supplies
- Voice to text is amazing for NaNoWriMo
- While I used voice to text to get words down quicker, I prefer writing by hand
Leave a Reply