|I do not own this image. I edited the image in Canva.|
Ever since she released folklore in June, I have been on a Taylor Swift binge. While Red is my favorite album of Taylor’s, folklore has come very close to being second or even tied for first place. In honor of her eighth studio album, I decided it would be fun to finally listen to all of her discography! Even though she’s had eight studio albums, she has released songs outside of her albums. In this post I’m going to be listening to those songs! I didn’t include any songs that she covered.
1. “Only the Young”
- Eh, this is about as good as “Miss Americana and the Heartbreak Prince” which is not high praise (sorry).
2. “Safe and Sound”
- “I remember tears streaming down your face / When I said I’ll never let you go”
- As this song was written for The Hunger Games movies, this lyric makes sense. It’s very reminiscent of the opening scene.
- “When all those shadows almost killed your light”
- “Hold on to this lullaby / Even when (the) music’s gone”
- God, I love this line so much.
3. “Eyes Open”
- “Everybody’s waiting for you to break down / Everybody’s watching to see the fallout / Even when you’re sleeping, sleeping / Keep your ey-eyes open”
- This is also so reminiscent of the entirety of The Hunger Games franchise. From the books to the movies, you always have to consider that the Capital is always looking at you.
- “Every lesson forms a new scar / They never thought you’d make it this far”
- This is also such a wonderful line. It makes me think about her newer lyrics too.
4. “Today Was A Fairytale”
- I love the connection between “White Horse” and “Love Story”
- “But can you feel this magic in the air? / It must have been the way you kissed me”
- “Time slows down / Whenever you’re around”
5. “I Don’t Want To Live Forever” (with ZAYN)
- This was such an unexpected duo but I actually loved this collaboration.
6. “Beautiful Ghosts”
- This is a stunning song but I’m still not a fan.
- “All that I wanted was to be wanted”
- “And the memories were lost long ago / But at least you have beautiful ghosts”
7. “Christmas Tree Farm”
- This is such a cute song!
- She grew up on a Christmas tree farm in Pennsylvania
- “And when I’m feelin’ alone / You remind me of home”
- I love how this calls back to what it’s like to be a child and the freedom that comes from it. I also love the idea about how important the idea of “home” can be and how powerful that can also be.
8. “I Heart ?”
- Apparently this song was written after a break up and it’s such a country song…
- It’s very obvious to me that she wrote this when she was younger and I was once again shocked–I probably shouldn’t be shocked–that she was at least 14 when she wrote this song.
9. “Sweeter Than Fiction”
- “Someday you won’t remember / This pain you thought would last forever and ever”
- This reminds me of “peace” from folklore
- “There you stand, next to me / All at once, the rest is history”
- Taylor was 13 when she wrote this song….
- If there is one thing I have learned about this entire experiment it’s the fact that this is truly what she’s meant to be doing with her life.
- We all know The Hannah Montana Movie don’t we?
- It was such a surprise to see Taylor Swift sing this song for the movie
- It was so weird to hear what Taylor’s voice sounded like all those years ago
- This is one of the emotional songs that I struggle to listen to. It was inspired by 3 year-old Ronan who died of cancer.
12. “Beautiful Eyes”
- eh. There’s not much to this song and it sounds more like a filler track than anything else.